Friday 23 January 2015

Craft With Me! DIY Disney Tsum Tsums

Follow my blog with Bloglovin


I have grown quite the addiction to Disney's Tsum Tsums. They feed into the cuteness gauge of my life in a craaaaaazy way - just so so soooo adorable! I can't take them and while I obsess over the app (which by the way is powered by Line, check it out and maybe we can play together! My line username is: dingrayson) I knew I just needed my own  little Tsum Tsum. 

Sadly, they do not sell it here in my country - not that I know of, perhaps in toy events and conventions they do - however, they are also quite pricey for a dork like me. Then it hit me: why don't I make my own? I honestly wasn't too fond of the idea at the beginning because I am such a sloth and I didn't really know how to go about it. However, I stumbled upon a youtube video by BudgetHobbies that taught how to make the Disney Tsum Tsums of Mickey Mouse, Donald Duck, Goofy and Pluto! Plus - it's made of the simplest materials which was basically socks, fiber fill and felt!

Now, this blog post isn't a tutorial on how to make these Tsum Tsums as the video I talked about that is linked above is a tutorial. It should help you in making your own Tsum Tsum. All the techniques and hand sewing tips and tricks is what I learned from BudgetHobbies. I just wanted to show my crafting adventures that I have been quite fond of doing lately.


Donald Duck was my very first DIY Tsum Tsum, as I tried my best to diligently follow the tutorial by BudgetHobbies. I got really, really excited about making my own and because of this, Donald was actually made of random materials I found in my room: a clean white sock, scrap fabrics from old costumes and markers (to get the black fabric pieces and eyes). I couldn't wait until I went out and bought stuff hahahaha I think it turned out well, but I still think it could get a lot better.


I knew that Chip and Dale were going to be my next two Tsum Tsums because I wanted to give one to my boyfriend (and soon for good luck for his upcoming UAAP games). It's also because we are getting our own Chip and Dale onesies so I made Tsum Tsums to match! Hehe. This was also because I have always loved Chip and Dale. They were two of my favourite characters as I grew up because I loved watching the old, Disney cartoon episodes with Chip and Dale in them. Those two little chipmunks and their crazy adventures always made me happy. So, for these two little babies I made sure to go out and buy materials I needed.

This is how my work space looks before I begin making Tsum Tsums. It's just socks organised and sorted into the colours used for each character, cut out felt into amounts I need, a bit of fiber film and sewing materials (not in this shot). I bought a lot of coloured socks, as most of them came in sets of three different colours - which was great because I was able to get what I needed! I couldn't find the exact colours and fluffy texture in socks for these two characters but I tried my best to stay as close as possible.


Then, just like it was showed in the tutorial - you gotta film those socks up and close them to make the Tsum Tsum shape! I actually freehanded the size for Donald completely which became the standard size for the DIY Tsum Tsums I make. I'm pretty sure the actual Disney Tsum Tsums are not this large or fat (but I really like how maggot-shaped they turned out to be quite honest!). Plus, I was super amused with how the base of Chip was very fat and round and obese and ADORABLE while Dale looked like a little potato. So cute ahhhhhhh //anime sparkles everywhere//




The details go next! I had to craft my own way into making Chip and Dale since there is no tutorial for making Chip and Dale. However, I used all the techniques and similar approach to making their faces as the tutorial above. Lots of free handing but gladly, everything paid off!

Check out Chip creeping up on Dale who doesn't even have his face on yet huehuehuehue




So, I got really into making these guys and didn't take much photos of my progress along the way. It's very relaxing and time consuming making these Tsum Tsums but it's a whole lot of fun! This is how Dale ended up looking from the top view, side view and belly view. He is super cute!


I actually made Chip the night before, hence the different lighting but here's Chip in my tiny hands as a size reference (I guess?). I am very amused as to how fat Chip is compared to Dale. I gave him a lot more stuffing it seems but only because the socks I made Dale out of were quite small and I didn't exactly have so much fabric to work with. I still think these guys turned out well and much better and neater than Donald!


Fun fact: aside from having solo much fun making these guys, I played the app as well to take breaks! However, I completely binge watched one of my favourite television shows ever all the while making these guys. The House of Mouse was a show I loved and still do with a deep passion and it was so fitting to watch it while making these Disney Babies! And guess what! These DIY Tsum Tsums are great for cleaning your screens with their bellies and work as a fantastic phone stand so you can watch videos easily. (That's Donald behind my phone. Hi Chip!)


It was really so much fun crafting these babies! I still have a lot more socks which means... more Tsum Tsums!! Hihi If I make a character next without a tutorial online - perhaps I will make my own tutorial here on my blog! Would anyone be interested in that? I'm making Dopey next for my mom and Minnie Mouse for my best friend and crafting buddy, Sam! I can't wait!

To end this post, here's more images of my Tsum Tsums! Craft With Me next time!


Thank you for reading !


No comments:

Post a Comment